To release this week’s enhancements, we will require an extended period of system downtime. Please note the following system impacts:
- Serials Solutions Client Center, Ulrichsweb, and Ulrich’s Serials Analysis System will be unavailable for a period up to four hours, starting at 6 p.m. PST on Friday, December 17 (World Time Clock Conversion). Notices will be on these sites during this time reminding you that we are performing maintenance.
Thank you for your continued support.
Director, Global Client Support Services
TO: Aleph campus contacts, Technical Services staff, Public Services staff, Systems staff
This is a follow-up to yesterday’s announcement on the SUNYLMS, SUNYLA, and SCLD lists regarding the December 22, 2010 shutdown of the Aleph-based Union Catalog. A copy of the announcement is also available on the SUNYConnect blog at http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/blog/?p=480
This posting includes information on the following topics:
1. Last updates to the Aleph Union Catalog
2. Revisions in workflow for deleting records from Aleph
3. Updating URLs from the Aleph Union Catalog to the SUNYSearch Catalog
Last updates to the Aleph Union Catalog
The last updates will be completed the week of Dec. 6. This includes data extracts from the University Centers and the campuses on the shared servers. Natalie Sturr has been in direct contact with University Center representatives.
Revisions in workflow for deleting records from Aleph
Guidelines on deleting bibliographic records in local campus Aleph catalogs have been revised to reflect the move from the physical Aleph-based catalog to a new union catalog based on WorldCat (OCLC). The revised guidelines have been consolidated into one document with four sections. They are available at: http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/olisdocs/public/Aleph/BibliographicStandards/
Updating URLs from the Aleph Union Catalog to the SUNYSearch Catalog
a. URL links WITHIN a local WebOPAC will be updated by OLIS for campuses on the shared servers
b. URL links anywhere else — Library Web pages, Course Management System (Angel, Blackboard), guides, etc. — MUST be done locally by campus staff
If you have any questions please submit a Footprints issue at: http://service.sunyconnect.suny.edu/footprints/help.html
Custom-56, Circulation Statistics – Items with Zero Circulation, has been expanded to assist with call number sorting.
Circ / Services / Custom – Circ Stats (Titles) / Circulation Statistics – Items with Zero Circulation
Custom-56 now produces a file of BIB system numbers in $alephe_scratch in addition to the .csv files in the 50/print directory. The file of system numbers can be used as input with other Aleph Services.
A suggested workflow to produce a list of items with zero circulation sorted by call number is to:
- Run custom-56 with your preferred criteria. Use the output file of BIB system numbers as input for:
- ret-21 in the 01 library: Services / Retrieve Catalog Records / Sort Catalog Records (ret-21). Use the output from ret-21 as input for:
- print-08 in the 01 library: Services / Retrieve Catalog Records / Print Catalog Records – Columnar Format (print-08)
See the Help screen for custom-56 for more details.
For campuses that subscribe to Reference Universe, there is a new Custom Service that will create a file of ISBN numbers that can be sent to the vendor. The file contains ISBN numbers for all bib records in Aleph that do not have an STA field.
Using Task Manager, the output file can be moved to the local PC. The file can then be emailed to the vendor.
Cataloging / Services / Custom Services – Cataloging / Reference Universe – ISBN Extract
This service should make it much easier for campuses to produce a file for Reference Universe.