The v16-v18 upgrade calendar for the DEV and PROD regions of the 56 campuses on the shared servers Delaware, Saranac and Seneca is available at:
The calendar starts with two pages of **MUST READ** notes. Please review these notes as they provide valuable information that campus staff must be aware of regarding the upgrade.
Contact me as soon as possible if there are any problems with the date of your campus PROD upgrade to v18. Given the number of campuses and the complexity of scheduling, the OLIS can consider re-scheduling a campus PROD upgrade only if there is a **SIGNIFICANT** campus activity going on at the same time that would prohibit library staff from checking their v18 PROD environment when it becomes available.
The differences between Aleph v16 and v18 will not require regional Aleph training. Refer to the TRAINING note on the attached calendar for additional information. The following URL provides access to Interwise Sessions by Ex Libris that highlight v18 updates and also provides access to v18 documentation: http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/olisdocs/public/Aleph/.
Because the OLIS and ITEC staff are heavily involved in preparing for the upgrade, many v16 support requests will be re-visited after the v18 upgrade. Please be assured that the OLIS and ITEC will continue to support urgent issues related to server access and major PROD functionality problems. The types of requests that will be re-evaluated after the v18 upgrade relate to requests for new initiatives and changes in functionality that already work. Examples include support requests for help with:
- new indexes
- batch data loads EXCEPT for PLIFs
- table edits EXCEPT for tab16, 17 and 31 (Circ changes needed every semester)
- new functionality that the campus had not previously implemented
- optional global data changes (reclassifications, new collection codes, transfers, etc.)
- new printed products and changes to overdues
Also, there are types of requests that the OLIS and ITEC are not able to support. While this is not new, hopefully this review will be helpful. Examples include:
· requests not specifically related to Aleph (workflow questions, basics of cataloging, implementing external search forms)
· requests to disable or override features in Aleph that actually do serve a purpose (such as disabling document validation errors – bib record does not have a 245 [title] field)
· requests to support non-standard functionality (serials pattern data in the campus 50 library rather than in the 60 library)
· WebOPAC and GUI customizations beyond what is needed for functionality
· support for 3rd party applications/products outside of any required Aleph configuration (ILLiad, OCLC Connexion, printers, labeling software, Macros, LDAP)
We appreciate your understanding as we all work together to move from v16 to v18. Additional information regarding the upgrade will be provided to campuses when their v18 Aleph DEV regions become available.
SUNYConnect Program Manager
Office of Library and Information Services
State University Plaza
Albany, New York 12246